Tuesday, 22 May 2012


After a fabulous evening at Teos Marina with copious quantities of alcohol and delicious food, not to mention the dancing into the early hours – with Derek getting his own hareem of ladies to dance with, it was another early start as we set sail to our next port of call at Kusadasi.  The term “Sail” is used wistfully, and as usual the wind did not last and we ended up motoring most of the way. 

We arrived in Kusadasi around 1330hrs to a beautiful hot afternoon so put the bimini up so we could relax out in the cockpit.  Our friends from Ichi Feet (John and Elsie) were back in town doing work on their yacht after having it up on the hard for most of the winter and came down and welcomed us, and it was really great to get together over a few drinks onboard before heading to one of the marina restaurants “Be Bop” for a very enjoyable meal.  Great to catch up with old friends and as to be expected it was another late night.

Following morning was another lovely morning – hot sun and blue skies!  Robert headed off on a ‘shore excursion’ to Ephesus and really enjoyed it.  John, Derek & Paul headed into town to get some supplies including pork sausages to die for. (A real treat here in Turkey – well for us anyway!)  Lunch was at a restaurant called Avlu which John had discovered over the winter, and was still as good as ever.  Paul was still experiencing a few health problems so he headed off to see the Doctor again, and then made a decision to fly home the next day to get treatment back in Australia. 

The marina hosted a BBQ and cocktails which was very good, and an opportunity for everyone to say a fond farewell to Paul before he ups anchor and heads to a hotel for the night.  He will be missed by one and all, especially for his daily updates and videos which earned him the title of Media and Communications  Officer.  John was commandeered into giving a speech and presentation to one of the local dignitaries before all the EMYR yachts were called up for photos and given a basket of presents.  Some of John’s friends that had wintered over in Kusadasi were also at the party, including Judy who was celebrating her birthday, so it was off across the road after the BBQ to join in the celebrations with numerous other friends that John knew.

At 0745hrs the following morning it was time to farewell Kusadasi and set off to Didim.  I think the skipper missed his morning cuppa which Paul used to have waiting for us all in the mornings.  Finally we had some wind and it was a good sail most of the way to Samos where the wind picked up going through the straits.  Had to put a reef in, but unfortunately it was short lived and once again ended up motoring into Didim.  We arrived at the marina around 1645 and it was that dreaded time to take on fuel – sooo expensive here in Turkey!  Didim is a wonderful marina with fantastic facilities, and it was great to have a nice long shower before getting ready for the cocktail party hosted by the marina management.  What an amazing setting around the pool overlooking the pontoons, with a live group playing while we supped on our beverages and enjoyed the fabulous food.  Another late night was had and by now we were all feeling a bit tired – but the beat goes on!

Awoke to another gorgeous day and it was off on a tour to Apollon Temple and Milet Ruins which were very good, and arrived back at Awatea around 1530hrs.   

We had met a New Zealand couple on the pontoon the day before, and caught up with them for a few drinks onboard before doing a ‘pub crawl’ to their yacht to have a few there.  Decided we would have dinner at the Yacht Club where we had the cocktail party the evening before which was stunning, and staggered back home to bed around 2345hrs.  Not good as it was a 0530hrs start the following day.

The morning was very overcast and dead calm, and were very relieved around 1600hrs when we finally got a decent breeze around 9 knots, so it was up with the genaker for the next 3 hours.  We were meant to have the night in Datca but due to maintenance being carried out in the town marina had to give it a miss and carry on to Marti Marina.  We arrived around 2000hrs and enjoyed a nice chilli con carne that Derek had whisked up – so nice to have a free evening and enjoy a meal onboard.  After a long day we all crashed reasonably early.

Marti Marina is in an idyllic setting surrounded by green hills and beautiful bays and inlets.  

 It is near a small town called Ohanyia which is only around 20mins from Marmaris by dolmus.  We decided to head into town and were offered a lift by the owner of “Silver Lining”- the most stunning yacht berthed across from us.   

It was great to be back in Marmaris and catch up with all our friends we had made the year before, and enjoy a meal at our little local restaurant as well as a shave from Mustafa and Seref at Naz Barber.  So nice to see everyone – just like coming home!

Chris from ‘Silver Lining’ is such a nice guy and joined in the fun that evening starting off with a “pot luck” cocktail party on the pontoon – talk about some weird and wonderful concoctions but all very alcoholic and enjoyable (well some of us tried most of them), before heading up to the local restaurant for a meal.  Some of our fellow yachties didn’t know when to stop and had great difficulty getting back on their yachts at the end of the night – but I am very happy to report that the Awatea crew were not culprits, and in fact had to help a few others to make a successful transfer from shore to ship.

The next day was fine and sunny – summer is here at last, and proved to be a very lazy day.  Carried out a bit of cleaning and maintenance, then a nice salad for lunch followed by a doze on deck.  So nice to have a day free to enjoy, doing virtually nothing.  Our friend Penny from Marmaris had her yacht on the hard and it was going back in the water this afternoon, so Derek was asked to give her a helping hand to take it up to a mooring at the end of the bay.  What a fabulous place – a small rickety jetty under a little family run restaurant up on the hill, but with power and water available and views to die for.  If we weren’t on the EMYR I think we all would have loved to spend more time in this paradise.  That evening we had a guided tour of the luxury hotel that has just been built above the marina – really special place, and then we ended up at the restaurant where they had set up cocktails around the pool followed by a first class dinner.  There was also a fabulous group playing the best music, and it wasn’t long before everyone was up dancing including twinkle toes Derek and a few of his hareem.

We had another early start the following morning casting off at 0530hrs to head for Gocek.  A long day, with virtually no wind and ended up having to motor all the way, arriving at 1730hrs.  After berthing a few of our friends from the group ended up on Awatea and we ended up having a very boozy fun evening with loads of laughs.  Some of our friends that did the EMYR last year had told us it was very social – well they were not wrong!!!

Thursday 10th May was another beautiful day and we were meeting up with Sue (Muzza’z cousin from Melbourne) who now lives in Dalyan.  She drove to Gocek to pick us up and we headed into the hills for brunch at one of our favourite restaurants between Goecek and Fethyie.  It is a typical Turkish feast with the food coming nonstop until the table is groaning under the weight – not to mention our stomachs after devouring it all!  It was then into Fethyie for coffee and cake (just what we needed – NOT!) but all yummie, before heading back to Gocek to buy a few supplies.  As usual it was wonderful to spend time with Sue, and hope it is not too long before we head back this way.

Guess what?  It was time to shower and get ready for......wait for it......another cocktail party.  This was held at one of the marina restaurants and after the obligatory glass of punch it soon livened up with beer, wine and G&T’s flowing.  Several yachts had joined the rally here so it was good to meet some new folk and exchange a few sailors’ yarns - which seem to get better as the night wears on!

We departed Gocek at 0700hrs en route to Kas and had another day of calm seas and no wind.  Nothing of note to report and arrived in Kas at 1600hrs.  We had spent 7 days here in Kas marina last summer, and it was nice to be back as Kas is a great town and has some wonderful restaurants.  We enjoyed some drinks onboard before heading into town with a group of 12 for dinner at a fantastic French restaurant we discovered last year only to find it had closed.  Bummer, but not to worry as we had a few other “favourites” and ended up at one we had been to quite a few times with our friends Marg & Bev last year.  We had a great meal with several bottles of wine and copious quantities of beer, and more food than we could eat for around TL40.00 per head – great value!

The next day was a bit overcast so had a late breakfast around 1000hrs. Cleaned up the boat and then took the dolmus to Kalkan – another beautiful town with some of the nicest restaurants in the south of Turkey.  We had lunch at a small restaurant called ‘White Table’ which is run by a young Turkish guy and his wife and serves gourmet burgers – so wonderful.  He remembered us from last year and made a big fuss and we had a very enjoyable time.  Back to Kas marina in time for the cocktail party which was held at the Yacht club around a stunning infinity pool.  Not only have we enjoyed the most wonderful parties, some of the setting have been surreal – just magnificent, and Kas marina is one of the best.  The band was very good and once again lots of dancing to great music and a fun time.  As to be expected a few of the group ended up in the pool including a few who had no choice. 

On Sunday we had a free day and organised to sail across to the small Greek island of Kastellorizo off the Turkish coast for lunch with Dave & Kath, EMYR organiser and two of their friends from “Mashona”, Jane & Russell from “Ta Be” and Jane & Shaun from “Happy Hour”.  We departed around 1030hrs and it is not very far taking about 40 minutes for us to get into the harbour and tie up at one of the local restaurants.  After some shopping for wine and Greek beer we were joined by the marina manager from Kas who had come across with his wife and daughter on the ferry and had a table for 16.  Lunch was excellent with squid, prawns, octopus (some of the best we have tasted), salads, fresh fish and potatoes all washed down with local wine and beer, and finished off with some Greek brandy.  It was then back to Turkey and a nice meal onboard that evening – steak from OZ. Yummie!  

No comments:

Post a Comment